Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Family + Art/Craft: Quilts

Family + Art/Craft: An artist friend of mine emailed yesterday that she thought my work looked like "Amish quilts on acid!" Once again, I wonder if I was influenced by the beautiful quilts I inherited from my grandmother. Although not Amish, they have the familiar patterns that were popular throughout the mid-west in the late 1800s and early 1900s. My quilts were made by my grandmother, great-grandmother, at least one great-aunt, and a quilting group of women to which my grandmother and her sister belonged. I grew up with one of the quilts always on my parents' bed, and my mother has one on her bed today. There are several more. I think it's time to retrieve them from storage to enjoy again.




Catalog from a show in 2010: "Quilts : masterworks from the American Folk Art Museum" by Elizabeth V. Warren, with a preface by Maria Ann Conelli, a foreword by Martha Stewart, and an introduction by Stacy C. Hollander [Available here and here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated!