Monday, July 26, 2010

What Are Image Transfers?

My image transfers are one-of-a-kind works of art that are made from a pull-apart film and a slide printer that transfers images from slides onto the film. (I've used the now discontinued Polaroid 669 film; Fuji FP100c is currently available and I look forward to trying it.)

The film is exposed and pulled from the holder. After waiting for about ten seconds, the film is pulled apart and the negative is placed face down on watercolor paper that has been soaked in preparation for the process. A brayer is used to apply pressure to the negative on the paper for at least two minutes. The negative is then gently peeled from the paper and the photo transfer is allowed to dry.

The process is highly unpredictable and multiple transfers made from the same original slide image have subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, distinctions. The transfers have a relatively soft focus and an unsaturated palette. I often enjoy enhancing the colors on the dry prints with watercolor paints. The final image has a vintage feel that I find very appealing.

The image transfers are 4”x3”. I once showed them to a gallery director who referred to them as “little jewels,” an apt description, I think!

Please e-mail or comment if you have questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated!