Sunday, June 23, 2013

"A Vanishing Art: Hand-Colored Photographs" Opens July 9th!


A Vanishing Art: Hand-Colored Photographs
NoHoSAC/The Road Theatre Lobby Gallery

 10747 Magnolia Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91601
 July 9 - August 21


 Opening Reception: Tuesday, July 9th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM 

I'll have twenty pieces in my show devoted to hand-colored photographs: original photos that I've taken or that were taken by my partner, John Semper Jr., as well as several classic motion picture stills. All were hand-colored by me with specially-designed photo oils and pencils.

"Charlie Chan in Egypt" (1935)
Hand-coloring is the traditional way that color was added to photographs in the days before color film. The process was popularly used on portraits and landscapes, then became important on movie theater lobby cards to help entice an audience into the theater -- where they'd see a black and white film!

"The Corner" - John Semper Jr./Cynthia Friedlob
You'll also see several hand-colored Polaroid image transfers, which I hand-printed on watercolor paper, then enhanced with watercolors. These small, 3" x 4" images were once aptly called "little jewels" by a gallery manager.


"Japanese Garden Bridge" - Cynthia Friedlob
I like the charming, vintage quality of hand-colored photographs and enjoy keeping this traditional art form alive today.

If you're in the L.A. area, I hope you'll stop by the reception and say hello!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated!